Rabat- The US, UK, and France launched coordinated airstrikes hitting targets at three sites in Syria in the early hours of Saturday morning, in response to Bashar Al-Assad’s alleged chemical weapons attack on civilians in the Damascus enclave of Douma over a week ago. “A short time ago, I ordered the United States armed forces to launch precision strikes on targets associated with the chemical weapon capabilities of Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad,” Trump said at the White House. “A combined operation with the armed forces of France and the United Kingdom is now under way. We thank them both. This massacre was a significant escalation in a pattern of chemical weapons use by that very terrible regime,” he added. As Trump was making his White House address, large explosions were heard in the capital Damascus, with footages showing missiles streaking over the night sky in Syria.A perfectly executed strike last night. Thank you to France and the United Kingdom for their wisdom and the power of their fine Military. Could not have had a better result. Mission Accomplished!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) 14 avril 2018US Defense Secretary James Mattis said, “Right now this is a one-time shot and I believe that it sent a very strong message” to the Syrian regime, adding that the strikes would continue until the Syrian regime’s use of chemical weapons ends.In his speech, Trump warned Russia and Iran not to stand by their ally in Damascus. “Russia must decide if it will continue down this dark path or if it will join with civilized nations as a force for stability and peace,” Trump argued. Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said the US strikes had hit the Syrian capital when the country “finally” had a chance at peace. Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Qasemi condemned the strikes, saying that “the attack is the blatant violation of international laws, as well as ignoring the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Syria,” according to Iran’s state news agency. The military strikes occurred after US President Trump warned Syria’s Bashar al-Assad that there will be “a big price to pay,” over chemical attack on a rebel-held town in eastern Ghouta which has killed dozens of people earlier this week.
DALLAS — The Latest on the grounding of Boeing’s 737 Max jets after two fatal crashes (all times local):9:44 a.m.American Airlines is cutting a key revenue estimate partly because of cancelled flights due to the grounding of its Boeing 737 Max jets.American said Tuesday that it cancelled 1,200 flights during the quarter that ended March 31 because regulators grounded its 24 Max planes.Over the weekend, the airline removed the plane from its schedule through June 5 — six weeks longer than before — underlining that airlines think the Max will be parked longer than previously expected after deadly crashes in Indonesia and Ethiopia.American says revenue for each seat flown one mile will be flat to up 1 per cent, down from its initial forecast of flat to up 2 per cent.It also blames the government shutdown and 940 cancellations due to work on other Boeing planes.The Associated Press
PRINCE GEORGE, B.C. — The company that shut down its main natural gas pipeline through British Columbia following an explosion and fire Tuesday night says it has restarted a smaller line running beside the damaged pipe.Enbridge says it has received National Energy Board approval Wednesday night to restart its 76-centimetre line, which was shut down as a precaution because it is in the same path as the 91-centimetre line that ruptured and exploded near Prince George.The Calgary-based energy supplier says the line was carefully checked before permission was received to restart it at about 80 per cent of normal capacity.Fortis BC, the company that depends on the Enbridge line for about 85 per cent of the gas it delivers to its one million customers, says in an online notice that gas is now flowing, but customers are still asked to cut back.It says restoring flow in the smaller line is a positive step, but until the damaged larger line is repaired, a shortage of natural gas continues.In response to the call for conservation, the B.C. Institute of Technology has tweeted that heat is off on the north side of its Burnaby campus until further notice, while the University of B.C. has told researchers and other non-essential users to immediately stop using natural gas.The UBC bulletin says although gas use should still be restricted, “UBC buildings that use natural gas for heating, hot water and cooking are no longer expected to be impacted.”In an earlier news release, Enbridge said it is working with other companies to find alternate supplies of gas to meet demand.Investigators are still searching for a cause of the blast just outside Prince George.It damaged the company’s primary natural gas pipeline linking the Fort Nelson area to Vancouver and south to another 750,000 customers in the northwest United States.Companies mentioned in this article: (TSX:FTS) (TSX:ENB)