Rhodium Group says U.S. coal-fired generation fell 18% in 2019, now at 1975 levels

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Washington Examiner:U.S. coal-fired power fell by record levels in 2019, a drop that was almost entirely responsible for the country’s 2.1% decline in greenhouse gases last year, according to preliminary data from the Rhodium Group, an independent research firm.2019 was a “really brutal year for coal, and that is driving the emissions reductions that we see,” said Hannah Pitt, a senior analyst with Rhodium who manages the group’s U.S. Climate Service.Coal-fired power declined 18% in 2019, according to the new research released Tuesday, in which Rhodium outlined preliminary emissions estimates for 2019. That puts U.S. coal generation at its lowest level since 1975.Those coal retirements had a “pretty sizable” impact on emissions levels, Pitt said. Rhodium’s preliminary estimates find U.S. power sector emissions down nearly 10%, a significant reversal from the sector’s 1.2% emissions bump in 2018.Rhodium estimates U.S. economy-wide emissions are 12.3% lower than in 2005. To reach the Obama-era Paris target, the United States would have to cut emissions between 2.8% and 3.2% each year for the next six years, a pace Pitt says is speedy but doable, though only with significantly more robust federal policy.“There are drivers in the power sector that are pushing lower-carbon options,” Pitt said, citing market trends such as cheap natural gas and falling renewable energy costs, as well as policies such as clean energy tax credits and state-level clean energy standards.[Abby Smith]More: ‘Brutal year for coal’ drives decline in US greenhouse gas emissions in 2019 Rhodium Group says U.S. coal-fired generation fell 18% in 2019, now at 1975 levelslast_img read more

UK Nods Neptune Energy’s Juliet Field Decommissioning

first_imgUK authorities have approved Neptune Energy’s decommissioning plan for the Juliet field located in the UK North Sea.Neptune Energy filed the draft for decommissioning of the Minke and Juliet fields in March 2019.According to the decommissioning plan, which was approved on August 01, the Juliet manifold and wellhead protection structure will be fully recovered to shore for resuse/recycling.The Juliet field is located in the UK North Sea some 40 km due east from the Humberside estuary and approximately 9 km to the south of the Amethyst gas field.The field was discovered in 2008 and came into production in 2014 as a two-well subsea tieback development. The Cessation of Production ( CoP) for Juliet was submitted in July 2018.last_img read more

Reid uncertainty worries Hammers

first_img Press Association His current contract expires next summer and, with Reid believed to be holding out for up to £60,000 a week, he has yet to pen an extension and will be able to enter negotiations with other clubs in the new year. Allardyce, though, is keen to work on a resolution, saying: “It is not only a concern for me, but it is a concern for the owners. “There’s been talk about Winston and his contract for a pretty long period now which is obviously not my responsibility. “But hopefully, sooner rather than later, that will come to a conclusion and a positive one. I can only hope that is going to be a positive result in the end. “It’s not that he doesn’t want to stay. It’s about the financial remuneration and whether they can come to the right level and right give or take or negotiation that gets us to a point where he will say, ‘Yes’. That’s always the hard bit today. “If we could tie him up tomorrow then I think the owners, particularly, and myself would like that and not have it lingering. It’s always a difficult negotiation.” West Ham go to Burnley on Saturday having collected their first clean sheet of the season in the 2-0 win over QPR before the international break. Reid has been an ever-present so far this season, with a number of his defensive colleagues having already been forced to sit out some games through injury and, although his future is likely to remain in some doubt in the coming weeks, Allardyce has no qualms about keeping him in the heart of his defence. “No, not really,” he replied when asked if the contract wrangles could affect Reid’s performances. “Winston’s had a long-term injury last year and sometimes it can take time to get back to what he can be. “Certainly now that the injury has fully recovered and he’s back to his defensive best, which is very important for us. “We got our first clean sheet of the season against QPR, which gave us the platform to win that game comfortably. I believe they have to go with the mentality to repeat that against Burnley. “Winston is on top of his game. With the back four now that’s come together for the first time, we have looked pretty solid. “With Carl (Jenkinson) playing, Aaron (Cresswell) feeling his way into the Premier League and James Tomkins and Winston. It is a new back four. If he can repeat what he did against QPR then it gives us a fantastic platform to try and go and win.” The 26-year-old was named the Hammers’ player of the year last season and has developed into a highly-rated defender, reportedly drawing the interests of Barclays Premier League rivals Arsenal and Liverpool. Having moved to Upton Park from FC Midtjylland in 2008, Reid has made 100 league appearances and has become a key member of Allardyce’s backline. Sam Allardyce has admitted Winston Reid’s contract situation is a concern for everyone at West Ham as the New Zealand defender has yet to extend his deal.last_img read more

Modric Returns to Real Madrid Training Amid Doubts over Future

first_imgYesterday, as the Real first team flew back to Madrid after beating Roma in New Jersey on Tuesday night, the club said the World Cup players were in training.“The Croatian midfielder joined Marcelo, Varane, Casemiro and Kovacic, who did individual work in the gym. The four players trained with nine players from the under-18s,” Real Madrid said on their web site.Among the conflicting reports, Marca said that Modric, who joined Real in 2012, “did not consider his current salary matched the level of his performances” and that the player, who turns 33 early in September, was about to sign the best contract of his career.AS said Modric, who has not commented publicly, “foresaw joining Inter.” Marca said “he would stay at Madrid” because “the club intended to increase his salary.”Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Inspirational Croatian captain, Luka Modric returned to training at Real Madrid yesterday along with five other World Cup players, against a background of contradictory rumours about his future.One Spanish sports daily, AS, reported that the midfielder who led Croatia to the World Cup final was subject to a big bid from Inter Milan, while a competing newspaper, Marca said the 32-year old was about to accept a pay rise from Real and sign a contract extension.Modric, awarded the Golden Ball as best player at the World Cup, was given a break rather than join Real’s pre-season tour of the United States, as were another Croatian World Cup finalist, Mateo Kovacic, who was reported to have travelled to London to join Chelsea, French World Cup winner Raphael Varane and Brazilian duo Marcelo and Casemiro.last_img read more