House Speaker Nancy Pelosi: “I can take it … but (Facebook is) lying to the public.” Bastiaan Slabbers/Getty Images House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Wednesday that Facebook’s refusal to take down a video that was manipulated to make her sound drunk showed that the company’s leaders were “willing enablers” of Russian interference in the 2016 US presidential election.”We have said all along, poor Facebook, they were unwittingly exploited by the Russians. I think wittingly, because right now they are putting up something that they know is false. I think it’s wrong,” Pelosi, a Democrat from California, told KQED News in her first public remarks about the doctored video. “I can take it … but (Facebook is) lying to the public.””I think they have proven — by not taking down something they know is false — that they were willing enablers of the Russian interference in our election,” she added.Pelosi’s remarks show how tensions between Facebook and lawmakers continue to escalate as the social media giant struggles to combat misinformation on its platform while trying to balance safety with free speech. Facebook didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.YouTube took down the video, but Facebook and Twitter left it up. Facebook doesn’t have a rule that requires content posted on the site to be true. Its “community standards” state it doesn’t remove fake news on the social network but will show it lower in the News Feed. The company has also taken down fake accounts for “inauthentic behavior,” which means the people behind the accounts tried to mislead users about who they were and what they were doing. One version of the doctored Pelosi video shared on a Facebook Page garnered 2.8 million views and more than 48,400 people shared it. If you try to share the video, Facebook directs you to fact-checkers that published articles about how the video footage was distorted. It doesn’t identify the video as having been manipulated. Here’s how Facebook handles the Pelosi video. Screenshot/Queenie Wong Other lawmakers are calling on Facebook to pull down the video. On Tuesday, Rep. Ro Khanna, also a California democrat, tweeted that he talked to an informed voter who didn’t know the videos of Pelosi were altered, and that Facebook must remove it. Tags Comments Tonight, over dinner, a fairly informed voter said to me that given the events of last week, Nancy Pelosi had to go. After my surprise, he asked had I not seen the videos. I explained they were doctored. He replied cavalierly, “oh I didn’t know.” Facebook must remove the video.— Ro Khanna (@RoKhanna) May 29, 2019 Last week in an interview with CNN, Facebook’s vice president for product policy and counterterrorism, Monika Bickert, defended the social network’s decision to leave up the video.”We think it’s important for people to make their own informed choice for what to believe,” Bickert said. “Our job is to make sure we are getting them accurate information.”Originally published May 29Update, May 30: Adds a screenshot. Share your voice 19 Politics Tech Industry Facebook
Palestinian protesters are seen near burning tyres during clashes along the Israeli border fence, east of Gaza City on 28 September. Photo: AFPSeven Palestinians, including two boys aged 12 and 14, were killed in clashes with Israeli forces along the Gaza border Friday, the health ministry in the Hamas-controlled strip said.It was the bloodiest day of border protests since 14 May, when more than 60 Palestinians died in violence accompanying the inauguration of the US embassy in Jerusalem, a move that enraged Palestinians.Nasser Mosabih, 12, Mohammed al-Houm, 14, and Iyad Al-Shaar, 18, were shot dead Friday in clashes along the frontier with Israel, health ministry spokesman Ashraf al-Qudra told AFP.Four men in their twenties were also killed in the widespread violence along the border, the spokesman said, adding that 210 people were hospitalised, including 90 with gunshot wounds.The Israeli army said in a statement that some 20,000 “rioters” had gathered at multiple sites along the border and that people had hurled “grenades and explosive devices in several different locations”.The military said troops fired “in accordance with standard operating procedures” and that an Israeli aircraft also struck two positions belonging the Gaza’s Islamist rulers Hamas.Palestinians have been protesting at least weekly along the Gaza border since 30 March in what they call the “Great March of Return”.Friday’s protests were bigger than those in recent weeks.At least 193 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli fire since March, the majority during border protests, while one Israeli soldier has been shot dead by a Palestinian sniper.Free fallThe Israeli military declined to comment on Friday’s reported deaths.It said in a statement that troops spotted several Palestinians breaching the border fence and briefly entering Israeli territory before fleeing back into Gaza.Israel holds Hamas responsible for unrest originating in the territory under its control.The two sides have fought three wars since 2008, and in between there have been spikes of violence marked by Palestinian cross-border rocket and mortar fire and retaliatory Israeli air strikes.Throughout the protests since March, Israel has said its actions are necessary to defend the border and accuses Hamas of using the protests as cover to attempt infiltrations and attacks.Palestinians and human rights groups say protesters have been shot while posing no real threat.The protests are demanding the right of Palestinian refugees to be allowed to return to homes their families fled in the 1948 war surrounding the creation of Israel and which are now in Israel.Israel says any such mass return would mean the end of it as a Jewish state.The march is also a protest against a more than 10-year-old Israeli blockade on the Gaza Strip.Repeated deadly Palestinian clashes with the army along the frontier have brought warnings of the risk of a new conflict.The World Bank on Tuesday said that the Gaza Strip’s economy is in “free fall” as cuts to aid and salaries add to the effects of the already crippling Israeli blockade.
Davis LandU.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions speaks to Attorney’s Office staff and reporters on August 10, 2018, in Houston, TX.United States Attorney General Jeff Sessions said Friday the state of Texas and seven Texas mayors are filing a brief in court to support Department of Justice efforts redirecting federal grant money from cities that do not cooperate with federal law enforcement agencies to those that do. While speaking at the United States Attorney’s Office in Houston, Sessions linked violent crime to illegal immigration, highlighting crimes committed in Texas by members of the gang MS-13, a group President Donald Trump has repeatedly singled out. Last May, NPR reported on four studies that show illegal immigration does not increase the prevalence of violent crime.Sessions praised local and state political leaders, including Congressman John Culberson, who chairs the Commerce, Justice, and Science Appropriations Subcommittee which funds the Department of Justice, and Governor Greg Abbott.He also praised Texas lawmakers for passing Senate Bill 4, a law that forces local law enforcement to comply with federal immigration policies. Share
“We have decided to come up with a notification to ban chewable tobacco in all forms from Monday in Delhi. Under this, no one will be allowed to sell, purchase or store chewable tobacco,” Delhi Health Minister Satyendra Jain told reporters on Friday.He said enforcement teams of Delhi Police as well as the health department have been asked to conduct surprise inspections across the city to ensure that the ban is implemented. “The teams have been told to be active on this,” Jain said. However, no such ban will be enforced on cigarettes. Health Department officials said there was a Delhi government notification in September 2012 which was in pursuance of a series of directions from the Supreme Court to ban gutkha in the city. Also Read – Need to understand why law graduate’s natural choice is not legal profession: CJIBut since the ban mentioned the term “gutkha”, the tobacco retailers started selling the components of gutkha (betel nut and raw tobacco) in separate pouches. So, the purpose of banning gutkha was not served. Therefore, the health department last year started with a new proposal to ban all raw chewable tobacco products in Delhi, a senior official said.According to officials, gutkha is also being supplied to retailers in Delhi from neighbouring states of Uttar Pradesh and Haryana. Stepping up its efforts towards tobacco control, the health department has also launched an innovative drive, creating a ‘Tobacco Aware Citizens’ Directory’ to spread an awareness about its harmful effects.Sources in the government said the ban on the sale, purchase and storage of chewable tobacco in all forms would be for the next one year and thereafter, the government will re-notify it. “Lieutenant-Governor Najeeb Jung has already given his nod and the government will issue the notification to ban chewable tobacco in all forms from Monday,” said a senior government official.