North Macedonia reach Euro 2020 – first major tournament in 27-year history | Football News

first_imgEljif Elmas broke down the left and slipped the ball to Ilija Nestorovski inside the penalty area and he found Pandev, who beat Giorgi Loria for his 36th international goal.The former Yugoslav republic will face Austria and Ukraine in Bucharest in Group C before taking on the top-seeded Netherlands in Amsterdam.Currently No. 65 in FIFA’s world rankings, North Macedonia will be the biggest outsider at Euro 2020 and the second newcomer, joining Finland.- Advertisement – The game was perhaps the biggest in the history of two young soccer nations, but no fans were allowed into the 54,000-seater national stadium in Tbilisi because of coronavirus restrictions in Georgia.With so much at stake, the match was predictably cagey and it took 28 minutes before either goalkeeper had to make a save when Georgian playmaker Tornike Okriashvili tested Stole Dimitrievski with a long-range shot.There were 29 fouls in a stop-start match and only four shots on target but the neatly-worked winning goal was in contrast to the general scrappiness.- Advertisement – Veteran forward Goran Pandev scored the decisive goal to send North Macedonia to Euro 2020 – the major tournament in their 27-year history. The 37-year-old – North Macedonia’s most capped player and all-time leading scorer – flicked the ball home in the 56th minute to see off Georgia in Thursday’s play-off final.- Advertisement –center_img – Advertisement –last_img read more

Coronavirus is leading to Europe’s highest deaths in decades

first_imgDifferences in the levels of overall deaths highlight the degree to which countries like Germany may have benefited from measures such as earlier and broader testing. The data also show that in hard-hit countries, deaths from the virus have vastly exceeded ordinary levels of fatalities from the seasonal flu.Germany has had “a very aggressive policy of outbreak containment, which they’ve continued despite the fact that it was quite demanding on their health system,” said David Heymann, a professor of infectious disease epidemiology at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine.Heymann cautioned that the data are still sparse, and it’s too early to draw definitive conclusions. Preliminary indications also suggest that Covid-19 hasn’t merely displaced other causes of death that may be reduced by lockdowns, such as car accidents and crime, at least during the period when infections began cresting in many countries.More than 180,000 people have died globally from the Covid-19 disease, with about 2.6 million infected. Some, like Italy and Germany, are in the process of slowly reopening their economies. All nations are trying to avoid a second wave of the disease that would require further lockdowns. France reported 76,246 overall deaths from March 1 to April 6, the most for the period in at least three years, according to the country’s statistics agency.In Italy, deaths from the start of the year to April 4 increased 30% on average from a year earlier in the 1,689 municipalities that have suffered the most from the virus, according to data from the Italian National Institute of Statistics. Those areas contain almost a third of Italy’s population. Mortality rates for the whole country aren’t yet available.“These are now officially mass casualty events,” said John Troyer, director of the Centre for Death and Society at the University of Bath, England. “Over the course of the year, and this will be written about for decades to come, what we’ll be looking at is different causes of death,” including non-virus deaths that happened because of the attention on Covid-19.Germany’s tollGermany’s comparatively positive figures come with a hefty caveat: The country currently has 2020 data available only up to March 15, well before the virus peaked in Europe. But they provide an early indication that Germany may be faring better. In fact, its total of 41,254 deaths in the first two weeks of March was the second-lowest on record in the past five years.“If we continue to control the virus as well as is currently the case, then we probably will barely see the effect on the total deaths,” Lars Schaade, vice president of the Robert Koch Institute, Germany’s public-health authority, said Tuesday. “We hope to keep it stabilized so there’s perhaps a blip, but not a big wave.”What the numbers don’t yet reflect is the degree to which deaths may have been caused indirectly by the virus as a result of lockdown measures. While things like traffic fatalities and gang violence may decline, domestic abuse homicides, suicides and cancer deaths may increase, according to charities and doctors.In the first three weeks of the UK’s lockdown, there were at least 16 domestic-abuse homicides, according to Solace Women’s Aid, London’s largest provider of domestic-abuse support services, which cited figures tracked by a campaign called Counting Dead Women. That’s more than double the normal rate and the highest it’s been for 11 years, in the aftermath of the financial crisis.Domestic violence“The picture is pretty bleak,” said Fiona Dwyer, chief executive officer of Solace. “We’re preparing for a huge spike in demand post-lockdown” as women who may have been unable to seek help during isolation come forward.Karol Sikora, a British oncologist and professor at the University of Buckingham, also expects a surge at cancer wards, particularly if lockdown measures are extended.“Once everything opens up, there’s going to be a huge backlog,” said Sikora. “Therefore people will have stage one cancer converted to stage three and four cancer.”The news isn’t all dire, however. While a full picture of the impact of Covid-19 on global mortality rates may be months or even years away, some think it could also lead to positive changes as the world pays more attention to health systems and hygiene.Vladimir Canudas-Romo, a demographer and associate professor at the Australian National University, predicts the messaging around the pandemic could benefit population health in the same way the Spanish flu did a century ago.“After the 1918-19 pandemic, there was a catching up effect on life expectancy to higher levels than those seen before the flu,” said Canudas-Romo. “We have healthier populations, and we are experiencing massive global public-health interventions that will stay with us beyond this.” Topics :center_img Overall deaths from all causes have surged in many of Europe’s largest economies since the coronavirus pandemic took hold, providing an early report card on their response to the crisis.Spain recorded almost 49,000 total deaths last month, the most for March since 1975, the year dictator Francisco Franco died. The UK reported its biggest weekly tally for 20 years on Tuesday. The only large European country that hasn’t reported a surge in deaths in 2020 so far is Germany, where the authorities have said the outbreak is under control.Such preliminary data are giving a clearer indication of the impact of the coronavirus across the continent. For weeks, those effects have been clouded by discrepancies in the way countries reported virus deaths. Some may have missed early fatalities before testing was widespread or attributed them to other underlying causes, such as cancer or heart disease. Others have excluded nursing homes from their totals.last_img read more

Indonesia records daily high of 4,465 new cases

first_imgIndonesia saw a one-day record of 4,465 new COVID-19 cases on Wednesday, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 257,388 nationwide, government data shows.More than 4,000 new COVID-19 cases have been reported per day since Monday. At least 9,977 people have succumbed to the disease so far, and 187,958 have recovered.Jakarta had the largest share of Wednesday’s figure with 1,133 new cases, despite having reimposed large-scale social restrictions (PSBB) a week earlier, bringing the capital’s total to 65,687 recorded cases and 1,628 fatalities. Read also: COVID-19: Indonesia logs record single-day infection spike of 4,176A recent survey by the Health Ministry has found that many citizens do not believe that COVID-19 exists and that many have challenged the call to adhere to health protocols, authorities have said, leading to more widespread transmission of the virus.In response, the national COVID-19 task force has formed so-called “behavioral change” units to raise public awareness about the danger of the disease. The initiative will be tested first in Jakarta, a hotbed of COVID-19 contagion, before being brought to other regions.Five behavioral change units consisting of a total of 100 volunteers have been deployed in five subdistricts of the capital to inform people about the virus and reinforce the need to adhere to health protocols, national COVID-19 task force head Doni Monardo said on Tuesday.Topics :last_img read more

Townsville’s most expensive homes

first_img3 The Point, Castle Hill26 Cleveland Terrace came in at fourth place selling in March for $1.9 million.Ms Mahoney said high end buyers in the $1.5 million plus price bracket wanted top quality properties in a prime location with ocean views.“When you’re in paradise you want the best of paradise so most of these homes have massive open-plan living areas with a segregated media room, room for guests and views,” she said. “Both of these sales were to families that were intending them to be a long-term investment in Townsville and they wanted a great lifestyle within walking distance to The Strand and proximity to schools.“For homes to sell in that high price bracket they have to be spot on and they have to be something spectacular.”The home at The Point has some of the best views in Townsville and is in a prestigious pocket of Castle Hill while 5 Fryer St has an infinity pool and basketball court. 5 Fryer St, North Ward More from news01:21Buyer demand explodes in Townsville’s 2019 flood-affected suburbs12 Sep 202001:21‘Giant surge’ in new home sales lifts Townsville property market10 Sep 20203 The Point, Castle Hill. 5 Fryer St, North WardA NORTH Ward penthouse has topped the list of Townsville’s most expensive homes sold in 2018 after Clive Palmer bought the luxury property for a whooping $2.7 million.The controversial billionaire bought 9/88-90 Mitchell St in an off market sale in July through Helen Munro Property. Clive Palmer bought the penthouse in this unit complex at 9/88-90 Mitchell St for $2.7 million.It’s known as being one of Townsville’s most luxurious penthouses and takes up the entire top-floor of the apartment complex.It’s 600sq m in size, has sweeping ocean views and fronts on to Strand Park.The second most expensive residential sale recorded in Townsville in 2018 was 5 Arundel Crt, Castle Hill. It was sold by Janice Gallagher form Janice Gallagher Real Estate for $2.4 million in February. A couple from regional Queensland bought the three-level home which has six bedrooms, sweeping views, an indoor heated pool and wet bar.3 The Point, Castle Hill, was sold for $2 million in January by Julie Mahoney owner of Ray White Julie Mahoney. Ms Mahoney also sold the fifth most expensive home at 5 Fryer St, North Ward, for $1.75 million. 5 Fryer St, North Ward26 Cleveland Tce is the most historic of the top five dating back to the Federation era. It was meticulously renovated before it was sold. The home has a wraparound veranda, character details and swimming pool. It’s on a 1879sq m block in one of Townsville’s most coveted location with views out to Magnetic Island and the Palm Island Group. 26 Cleveland Terrace, Townsville Citylast_img read more

Trial Date Set for Ossineke Twp. Clerk Accused of Sexually Assaulting Grandchild

first_imgAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThis A trial date has been set for an Ossineke Township clerk that was accused of sexually assaulting his grandchild. The assault allegedly occurred on January 22nd of last year.67-year-old Dennis Albert Liske was charged with a single count of criminal sexual conduct in the second degree, for sexually assaulting his 12-year-old granddaughter. The incident occurred at his home that morning. A status conference has been scheduled for July 24th, and a three-day trial is set to begin on September 26th.Liske was also charged with two counts of criminal sexual conduct in the second degree back in Midland County, for allegedly assaulting the same girl at a midland hotel where the family was gathering for Christmas. That assault allegedly occurred around December 18th of last year.AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisContinue ReadingPrevious Free Summer Cookout with Alpena’s Salvation ArmyNext An Exclusive Day of Fishing for Kidslast_img read more