Spain to close most remaining coal mines by year’s end

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享The Guardian:Spain is to shut down most of its coalmines by the end of the year after government and unions struck a deal that will mean €250m (£221m) will be invested in mining regions over the next decade.Unions hailed the mining deal – which covers Spain’s privately owned pits – as a model agreement. It mixes early retirement schemes for miners over 48, with environmental restoration work in pit communities and re-skilling schemes for cutting-edge green industries.Teresa Ribera, the minister for ecological transition, said: “With this agreement, we have solved the first urgent task we had on the table when we came to government. Our aim has been to leave no one behind. We also want to go further, we want to innovate. That is why we offer the drawing up of ‘Just Transition’ contracts, with the aim of helping the regions to consolidate the employment of the future.”More than a thousand miners and subcontractors will lose their jobs when 10 pits close by the end of the year. Almost all of the sites were uneconomic concerns that the European commission had allowed Spain to temporarily keep open with a €2.1bn state aid plan.Montserrat Mir, the Spanish confederal secretary for the European Trades Union Congress, said the “just transition” model could be applied elsewhere. “Spain can export this deal as an example of good practice,” she said. “We have shown that it’s possible to follow the Paris agreement without damage [to people’s livelihoods]. We don’t need to choose between a job and protecting the environment. It is possible to have both.”Spain’s coal industry employed more than 100,000 miners in the 1960s, but its energy dominance was eroded by cheap imports and increasing awareness of the industry’s environmental, health and climate costs. National coal provides just 2.3% of Spain’s electricity.More: Spain to close most coal mines in €250m transition deal Spain to close most remaining coal mines by year’s endlast_img read more

That’s made up: Anies refutes business group’s claim about reopening of malls

first_imgAPPBI Jakarta chapter chairwoman Ellen Hidayat previously said 60 malls in the capital would reopen for business on June 5 and four others would reopen on June 8, in line with the Jakarta gubernatorial regulation on PSBB extension, which will end on June 4.Despite saying businesses should wait for the evaluation, Anies stated that he had prepared a “new normal” guideline if the city administration decided not to extend the PSBB. He went on to say that he had also collaborated with several epidemiologists in developing the “new normal” guideline for Jakartans.“The coverage will range from economic, religious, social and cultural activities so we can live our lives while preventing the spread of the virus,” he said, adding that he would announce the guideline on the same day as the PSBB evaluation results.National Development Planning Agency (Bappenas) chairman Suharso Monoarfa previously stated that Jakarta had the potential to become a model for the “new normal”, saying Jakarta had met the requirements.Suharso said there were three criteria for regions to become a model, namely, their basic reproduction number (R0) of COVID-19 should fall below 1.0 for two consecutive weeks, a bigger maximum capacity of hospital beds for COVID-19 treatment than the number of new cases that require hospital care and a swab test capacity of at least 3,500 per 1 million population.As part of the plan to gradually loosen the PSBB, police and military personnel will be deployed to monitor the situation starting on Tuesday in Jakarta, West Java, West Sumatra and Gorontalo provinces. Read also: Concerns mount over reopening of offices, malls as Indonesia steps into ‘new normal’Up to 340,000 officers will be posted at 1,800 public spaces to enforce the limitation of large gatherings and ensure modes of public transportation and commercial areas operate at only 50 percent capacity, according to Indonesian Military (TNI) commander Air Chief Marshal Hadi Tjahjanto.A shopping mall that can accommodate 1,000 people, for instance, will only be allowed to hold 500 people.Topics : “No regulation has been issued that says the PSBB [in Jakarta] has ended.”Anies added that the reopening date of malls in Jakarta would depend on the results of the third phase of Jakarta’s PSBB evaluation, which would be conducted on Friday. He expected the results to come out early next week.”It could be extended, it could also end. It would neither depend on the government nor experts but the behavior of all of us. If people can control themselves and the virus reproduction level drops to below 1, then the PSBB could end on June 4,” he explained.Read also: ‘I don’t think we can wait’: Business groups ready for ‘new normal’ despite risks Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan has refuted the Jakarta Indonesian Shopping Center Association’s (APPBI) claim that shopping malls will reopen in early June, citing the potential to extend the capital’s large-scale social restrictions (PSBB).Anies said the third phase of restriction implementation in Jakarta, which will run until June 4, could be extended if deemed necessary. “So if anyone says the malls will open on June 5, that’s made up, it’s fiction,” Anies told the press on Tuesday night.last_img read more

COVID-19: JOC official calls for postponement of Tokyo Games

first_imgTokyo: A member of the Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC) has called for the Tokyo Olympic Games to be postponed in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.Retired judo athlete Kaori Yamaguchi, who is also a member of JOC executive board, told Japan’s Nikkei newspaper that athletes are not able to prepare adequately for the Olympic Games scheduled to start from July 24.“The Olympics should not be held in a situation people in the world can’t enjoy,” Yamaguchi said.“As far as I can tell, athletes in the United States and Europe are unable to train as normal and finish their qualifying matches. That makes it impossible for them to appear well prepared at the start, with all the associated risks,” she added.The 55-year-old also said she plans to raise this point at a JOC Board Meeting scheduled for March 27.Yamaguchi’s comments came after the athletes were asked to continue to train as usual by International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Thomas Bach.World Athletics chief Sebastian Coe has said that it is possible to postpone the 2020 Olympics if necessary.The IOC has claimed there is no need for “any drastic decisions at this stage” regarding this year’s Olympic and Paralympic Games, despite growing concern over the impact of the coronavirus pandemic. IANSAlso read: Call off Tokyo Olympics, says rowing legend Matthew PinsentAlso Watch : Coronavirus Preventive Measures: Dr. Navanil Barua in exclusive interview with The Sentinel Digitallast_img read more

Bleach: Al Davis method to be avoided

first_imgRunning an NFL team from the general manager position is more complicated than I can possibly imagine.Dealing with the scum of the Earth (agent Drew Rosenhaus) on a daily basis, coaches who care little about the long-term prospects of the franchise, and fans who have an IQ somewhere between reality TV stars and PETA members, general managers must balance more variables than the average MIT student. Needless to say, building a successful NFL team can’t be defined in one simple column.But there is one elementary rule all GMs should follow.Whichever direction the Oakland Raiders are heading in, run as fast you can the other way. Trust me, the road Al Davis has paved is riddled with more holes than A-Rod’s apology for using steroids.Nowhere is this more obvious than in the way Oakland approaches free agency.Last off-season, the Raiders splurged on free agents like wide receiver Javon Walker (15 receptions this year) and cornerback DeAngelo Hall (released after eight games), and they resigned their own defensive tackle Tommy Kelly to a seven-year, $50.5 million-dollar contract (yeah, I hadn’t heard of him either). In the end, these grand expenditures got the Raiders a whopping total of five wins.Starting Feb. 27, the NFL will officially kick off its second season by opening up veteran free agency and the trading period. With “superstars” hitting the open market, even Lions fans (assuming there are any left) will be hopeful during this time of year.Which, of course, is a mistake. Superstars rarely reach free agency. If they actually are superstars, teams usually lock them up long term.Instead, free agency offers a group comprised of the elderly, the lazy and the lucky. For the fortuitous teams way under the salary cap this year, we have a dose of all three.First, there is the chance that Raven’s linebacker Ray Lewis will reach the open market. On the surface, what team wouldn’t jump at the chance to sign a guaranteed future Hall of Famer? While I’m sure some team will pony up the big bucks to place Lewis in the middle of their defense (Rex Ryan’s Jets anyone?), the risk far outweighs the reward. Lewis will be 34 at the start of the season, and as Brett Favre showed, even the game’s greatest warriors can’t outrun age forever. Even if Lewis were to stay healthy, there are legitimate questions about how he will play. Lewis has succeeded in the same system for most of his career. There’s absolutely no guarantee his success on the field or leadership in the locker room will translate to a different system (again, thank you Brett Favre). So for those fans who are excited about the prospect of signing Lewis, don’t say you weren’t warned.Next, we have the mammoth defensive tackle out of Tennessee, Albert Haynesworth. In case you were wondering, he falls under the lazy column.While no one can question Haynesworth’s dominance when he is on the field, he is off the field a surprisingly large amount of time. The seven-year veteran has only started an average of 10.5 games per season in his career. Even when healthy and not suspended, Haynesworth has picked up a reputation of taking plays off.Since he is said to be seeking the largest contract ever for a defensive player, buyer beware.Finally, we have the lucky. Each year some hapless GM overbids and rewards a huge contract to the classic good but not great player. Last year’s lucky winners included Kelly of the Raiders, wide receiver Dont? Stallworth of the Browns and Alan Faneca of the Jets. Each of these players were given large sums of money and gave back average performances to teams that missed the postseason. This year’s lucky winners are still unknown, but with millions of dollars burning a hole in the back of their pockets, some brilliant GM will overpay for mediocre talent.This isn’t to say that free agency can’t help. Michael Turner gave the Falcons a huge lift this year, and the Patriots reached the Super Bowl two years ago with a receiving core dominated by first-year Pats.Instead, this is merely a caution. In the NFL, teams can go from worst-to-first in one season. But the way to build a team is still through the draft and developing younger players.So keep it in mind when your favorite franchise picks up that max-free agent. Al Davis would approve.Michael is a junior majoring in journalism. Think free agency can save a franchise? Do you see genius in Al Davis’ personnel moves? He can be reached at mbleach@badgerherald.com.last_img read more

Dietra Sober is your Duchess of 2015

first_imgDietra Sober with escort Wesley Gilmore. (Eric Rinehart photo)by Tracy McCue, Sumner Newscow — Dietra Sober spent Friday trying to get into the Class 4A State Tennis tournament. She has yet to qualify. That will be determined this morning. But she did secure one other victory. She became the Duchess of Wellington for 2015.Sober was voted by her peers as the Duchess of the Wellington High School Homecoming with Madison Adams, Ryleigh Buck, Baylee DeJarnett and Alexis Hinman as her attendants.It was a strange dynamic this year as Buck was not in attendance because she was at the University of Central Florida on a recruiting trip for girls softball. Sober and Adams were both playing in the Class 4A Regional tennis tournament in Pratt Friday and today. It was as if the Duchess ceremony was sandwiched in between this and that.Nevertheless, Sober received the crown. She is the daughter of Patti Sober and Ty Sober. Dietra’s in school activities include: tennis, power lifting, track, Scholar’s Bowl, Business of Professional of America, student council, President of National Honors Society, Business Professionals of America, setting school records in track, top 10 KU honoree, Lions Club Award, receiving best supporting actress for 2014-15 and going to nationals for BPA. Sober’s future plans are to travel and experience the world while changing the lives of others. Her escort was Wesley Gilmore.See the full Duchess Candidates photo gallery by Eric Rinehart here.Follow us on Twitter. Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comments (3) Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings Sort by: Date Rating Last Activity Loading comments… You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. +3 Vote up Vote down Local · 252 weeks ago Congratulations Dietra! Report Reply 0 replies · active 252 weeks ago +1 Vote up Vote down Karen Rowe · 252 weeks ago Congratulations! Report Reply 0 replies · active 252 weeks ago 0 Vote up Vote down Glenda Wright · 252 weeks ago Congratulations, Dietra! We are so proud of you! Report Reply 0 replies · active 252 weeks ago Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new commentslast_img read more