Demanding the resignation of Chief Minister M.L. Khattar, Congress leader Bhupinder Singh Hooda has cast doubt over the “intentions” of the Haryana government. “It was either intentional or inexperience, there can be no other reason to explain the sheer breakdown of administration. One feels there is absolutely no government in seat in Haryana,” the former Chief Minister of the State told The Hindu on SaturdayBetween “intention” and “inexperience”, Mr. Hooda blamed “intentions” more for Friday’s mayhem. “Their intentions are not honourable. It is part of ‘vote bank’ politics,” he said. This is the third massive public protest under the vigil of Mr. Khattar. In the first one in November 2014, within months into the government, it took 20,000 security personnel to arrest self-styled guru Rampal from Hisar. Five women and an 18-month-old child were killed in the siege. Last year’s Jat agitation saw a similar death toll and loss of ₹34,000 crore worth of property. “After the Jat Andolan, they had appointed the Prakash Singh Committee, which studied the lapses. The committee had indicted an SP, a DIG, the Home Secretary and even the Chief Minister’s Office. Where is the report today? No one knows,” Mr. Hooda said. No lessons learntThe government, Mr. Hooda said, did not learn any lessons from its own “misadventure” during the Jat agitation. The Union government and the BJP, meanwhile, gave a clean chit to the Khattar government, appreciating the administration for reportedly bringing in order within hours. “The BJP can go on giving clean chit for themselves, [but the] people of Haryana have lost confidence in them and will not give them a clean chit now,” he said. “If they [BJP] believe that they have done an excellent job in handling the recent tension and also in the last three years, they should go in for fresh elections and the voters shall deliver the verdict,” he added.
LATEST STORIES Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:44Djokovic wins Laureus Sportsman of Year Award01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City View comments Serbia’s Novak Djokovic celebrates victory over France’s Gael Monfils during the men’s final tennis match at the ATP Aegon International tennis tournament in Eastbourne, southern England, on July 1, 2017.Serbia’s Novak Djokovic beat France’s Gael Monfils 6-3, 6-4. / AFP PHOTO / Glyn KIRKNovak Djokovic says he had a “small medical intervention” on his bothersome right elbow.The 12-time Grand Slam champion and former No. 1-ranked player wrote on Instagram on Friday: “It seems like I am on the good road now to full recovery.”ADVERTISEMENT John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Djokovic sat out the last half of 2017 because of problems with his racket-swinging right arm, saying it had been bothering him for more than a year.The 30-year-old Serb made a late decision to enter the Australian Open last month, and then was clearly hampered by the elbow in a straight-set loss to Hyeon Chung of South Korea in the fourth round. Djokovic winced and grimaced throughout and took a medical timeout to have his elbow massaged.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting MOST READ Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers Rookie Mitchell scores 40, Jazz rout Suns AFP official booed out of forum Read Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.
Former Indian captain Sunil Gavaskar believes England’s cricketers would have “hit the panic button” and talked of leaving the series midway if the riots had happened in India.England and India face off in the third cricket Test in Edgbaston amid growing riots in the UK after a youth was allegedly killed in police firing.Gavaskar said a situation like this in India would have evoked reactions of wanting to leave by English cricketers.”No question about it, they would have been pressing the panic button. They would have been talking in terms of the team returning home. That is a given,” Gavaskar told the ‘Sun’ newspaper.England, under Kevin Pietersen, did leave a tour of India midway after the Mumbai terror attacks in 2008 but came back to complete the series after a while.Current Test captain Andrew Strauss has, meanwhile, insisted that the tensions on the street have not affected his team’s preparation for the third Test, a win in which would give England an unbeatable 3-0 lead in the series and the world number one tag.”When you watch scenes on TV, it is horrific and far from England’s proudest m oment. But, in terms of our preparation, it has not affected us. We intend going out and playing the game as we would any other.”A few of the guys went out early on Monday evening but the advice from our security manager was to come back as there were some disturbances. This is an opportunity for cricket to put out a feel-good factor,” he said.advertisement-With PTI inputs
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 15 Feb 2016 – Every intrusive and erratic remark and statement made by the Special Prosecutor for the Crown must be proved to be true; it was the overarching theme of the statement today from Ralph Thorne, the Queen’s Counsel representing former premier Michael Misick. Thorne was revved up in his presentation and called the opening statement by Andrew Mitchell, QC nothing more than a political vendetta aimed at ‘getting Mike’. He said, when proceedings resumed this morning at the Myrtle Rigby Health complex that, “An expedition in character assassination…” is what Mitchell led in his abnormal opening, which seemed to draw conclusions instead of the traditional method of promising, then proving allegations. Thorne promises to prove that the charges are politically motivated and he will aim to defend the character of his client. Thorne has a problem with the absence of any civilian witnesses, he has an issue with government witnesses who are coming in their official capacity and he rejects that the former Governor was bullied by Michael Misick during his tenure and Thorne takes exception to the fact that Developers in the debacle, are missing from the trial. Thorne said, the mountain of apparent evidence by the SIPT will turn into a mouse of proof, and that it will not be enough to satisfy the court. Karen Delancy, former Cabinet Minister in Michael Misick regime takes the witness stand in SIPT trials Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Recommended for you BOYCE FIRES HER ATTORNEY, as SIPT Trial continues Delancy challenged on leadership style, calls Floyd Hall, ‘man of integrity’ Related Items:andrew mitchell, michael misick, queen’s counsel, ralph thorne, sipt trial
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppNassau, Bahamas, October 6, 2016 – Harrowing reports coming out of Nassau as we are told that people in coastal areas are now crying for rescues, but that cannot happen and it means these individuals will have to figure out how to survive the onslaught of now category four hurricane Matthew with its 140 mph winds. “We have reports of many people saying, oh come, homes have been compromised, the roofs blowing off or part of the roofs blowing off, and that sort of thing, and due to the high winds, medical rescue and teams were asked not to take the risk. The broad surge to all of the southern shores, I’m only getting reports from Yamacraw, Marshal Road, Harold Road, those roads in the south eastern end of New Providence, that’s where we getting calls coming in right now.” Trevor Basden There are images of vehicles submerged in the Yamacraw area; there is a nearby beach which has caused an at least 5ft tall surge to rush in. Basden explains, that it is not rain, it is a storm surge which has drowned vehicles and homes; even toppled the wall at Fox Hill Prison.“Fox Hill Prison, the wall on Yamacraw side, the entire wall of Fox Hill Prison is down, it’s completely washed away.” Related Items:calls for rescue ring out in new providence, cars submerged in water in nassau, hurricane matthews rips through new providence, massive flooding in areas of nassau The best news which we hope holds up as the Bahamas is bashed by Matthew; there there are no reports of loss of life. Trevor Basden is the Sr Deputy Director of the Bahamas Department of Meteorology and he said Nassau has up until 3 p.m with the hurricane force winds, and Grand Bahama will experience Hurricane conditions until 7 a.m tomorrow. That gives killer storm Matthew lots of time to do the dastardly to the island which is still reeling from the hits of Frances and Jeanne in 2004 and Wilma in 2005. Winds are described in Nassau as violent. Winds are described in Grand Bahama as picking up. The storm veering more west, on a collision course with West End by all appearances. In the west an evacuation order was given; some but not all heeded the request. And at best, official rescue operations will not be permitted in Nassau said Mr. Basden until after 3pm and even then the first responders are going out in Tropical Storm force winds which are risky. “How y’all holding up in this weather man, I’m talking about this weather so strong, it shake my bed; in my house.” – Cody (resident) Many lost power last night, some this morning and the images of disaster are many… the bridge, businesses, hotels, homes, water ways and historic buildings – all abused by the unrelenting Matthew which has killed hundreds; the death toll from Haiti today soars to 108. A knight on a huge truck trying to plow through six feet of water he says, to get a family to safey… we pray they make it okay. NEMA is also receiving reports of roofs flying off and we have gotten a report of doors of homes flying off. There is also, likely an unauthorized expedition to save those who are stuck – remember evacuation recommendations were made for many areas in Nassau. “I am in a dump truck right now and we are in six feet of water, South Beach when I say is under water, we are trying to locate some people who are trapped in their ceilings.” – (rescue crew member) Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp
Digital publishing consultancy Mequoda Group has released the results of its third Digital Magazine Market Study. This year, the firm tripled its sample size to 3,642 U.S. adults and backed off the tablet-specific demo they used for the previous studies, which negates year-over-year comparisons, but there are still more than a few highlights. Interestingly, that metric almost flips when Mequoda asked about print magazine readership. About 70 percent of respondents said they read an average of 2.91 print issues in the last 30 days while 30 percent did not read a print magazine at all. Either publishers are de-emphasizing monetization of subscriptions and single copy sales or most consumers simply aren’t buying. The study notes that 58 percent of respondents spent no money on digital magazine single copies or subscriptions in the last 12 months, and of those that did, they averaged $17.20. General advertising was a tick worse: Six percent said very important, 9 percent thought it was important, 21 percent said slightly important and 45 percent deemed it not important. Meanwhile, digital magazines don’t stand out as a singular preference when readers consider how they prefer to access magazine content. Yet, they’re holding their own against the print edition and web edition. Each format captured about a third of responses. Even so, advertising may not be viewed by readers as being part of a digital magazine’s functionality, but those low numbers indicate that readers are not seeing the value of advertising as part of a digital magazine experience. Those may be harder to deliver, if at all, in basic PDF versions of a magazine, but beyond those two, responses on other more dynamic content features become more fractured. Only 10 percent of respondents say embedded video is very important and 22 percent say it’s not important, for example. As for functionality, 79 percent of respondents say readable text is very important, while 56 percent say scrollable text is very important. Nevertheless, Mequoda notes that readable and scrollable text are features common in native and responsive web versions of digital magazines, which point to a reader preference for those formats. Advertising is way down on the functionality list, unfortunately. Nine percent said relevant advertising is ‘”very important” and 12 percent said it’s “important.” Thirty-seven percent said it’s “not important” and 17 percent said “slightly important.” Respondents are fairly active readers of digital magazines, but not overly so. According to the survey, about 63 percent had not read a digital magazine in the last 30 days. The remaining 37 percent read an average of 2.37 issues during that period, however. For the full study, including digital magazine best practices, click here.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi: “I can take it … but (Facebook is) lying to the public.” Bastiaan Slabbers/Getty Images House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Wednesday that Facebook’s refusal to take down a video that was manipulated to make her sound drunk showed that the company’s leaders were “willing enablers” of Russian interference in the 2016 US presidential election.”We have said all along, poor Facebook, they were unwittingly exploited by the Russians. I think wittingly, because right now they are putting up something that they know is false. I think it’s wrong,” Pelosi, a Democrat from California, told KQED News in her first public remarks about the doctored video. “I can take it … but (Facebook is) lying to the public.””I think they have proven — by not taking down something they know is false — that they were willing enablers of the Russian interference in our election,” she added.Pelosi’s remarks show how tensions between Facebook and lawmakers continue to escalate as the social media giant struggles to combat misinformation on its platform while trying to balance safety with free speech. Facebook didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.YouTube took down the video, but Facebook and Twitter left it up. Facebook doesn’t have a rule that requires content posted on the site to be true. Its “community standards” state it doesn’t remove fake news on the social network but will show it lower in the News Feed. The company has also taken down fake accounts for “inauthentic behavior,” which means the people behind the accounts tried to mislead users about who they were and what they were doing. One version of the doctored Pelosi video shared on a Facebook Page garnered 2.8 million views and more than 48,400 people shared it. If you try to share the video, Facebook directs you to fact-checkers that published articles about how the video footage was distorted. It doesn’t identify the video as having been manipulated. Here’s how Facebook handles the Pelosi video. Screenshot/Queenie Wong Other lawmakers are calling on Facebook to pull down the video. On Tuesday, Rep. Ro Khanna, also a California democrat, tweeted that he talked to an informed voter who didn’t know the videos of Pelosi were altered, and that Facebook must remove it. Tags Comments Tonight, over dinner, a fairly informed voter said to me that given the events of last week, Nancy Pelosi had to go. After my surprise, he asked had I not seen the videos. I explained they were doctored. He replied cavalierly, “oh I didn’t know.” Facebook must remove the video.— Ro Khanna (@RoKhanna) May 29, 2019 Last week in an interview with CNN, Facebook’s vice president for product policy and counterterrorism, Monika Bickert, defended the social network’s decision to leave up the video.”We think it’s important for people to make their own informed choice for what to believe,” Bickert said. “Our job is to make sure we are getting them accurate information.”Originally published May 29Update, May 30: Adds a screenshot. Share your voice 19 Politics Tech Industry Facebook
Awami League general secretary Obaidul Quader. File photoRuling Bangladesh Awami League (AL) general secretary Obaidul Quader said on Saturday opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party’s (BNP) anti-government campaign is over.Also the road transport and bridges minister, Quader suggested that BNP should rather prepare for the next general elections now.Speaking to newsmen while inspecting the repair work of the Dhaka-Tangail four-lane highway in Chandra of Gazipur, the AL leader also claimed that the ruling party has no desire to keep BNP out of the next polls slated to be held at the year end.“As a registered political party, BNP reserves the right to take part in the polls. The issue of Khaleda Zia’s release is not in our hands. We’ve no objection if Khaleda Zia is freed through legal battle,” said Quader.The road transport and bridges minister said as much as 70 per cent work of Dhaka-Tangail four-lane highway is complete so far, hoping the home-goers would not need to suffer during the next Eid journey.
Kate Hudson is busy shuffling between her acting assignment and her two kids, but the actor is happy with being single.The 36-year-old Kung Fu Panda 3 star finds it nice to get acquainted with herself alone, reported Us magazine.“It’s nice to get acquainted with myself alone,” the Kung Fu Panda 3 star said. “You know, the goal when you get into a relationship is not to be out of the relationship. It’s to try to stay in the relationship. But if it doesn’t work, you can’t force those things. Also Read – A fresh blend of fame“It’s hard to let go of something, even when you know that it’s not right. I’ve chosen something in my life that I’m very comfortable with that goes against a lot of people’s more traditional feelings. If something’s not right, I don’t believe in maintaining something for the sake of what’s considered a traditional family,” Hudson said.The Almost Famous actor is enjoying the way her life is taking shape and is at peace with her sons Ryder, 11, and four-year-old Bingham.
Kolkata: An elderly couple from Malda was beaten up by their family members over property dispute.The incident took place at Kashimpur village of Chanchal in Malda on Tuesday morning. The couple has been undergoing treatment at Malda Medical College and Hospital. According to the hospital sources, both of them received head injuries in the incident. It was learnt that a quarrel broke out between three brothers over possession of a plot of 16 cottah. The victim’s younger brothers went to the spot in the morning to capture the disputed piece of land while the eldest brother and his wife opposed them. It was alleged that the two brothers with the help of some of their associates attacked the elderly couple. They were hit on head with a stick. The locals rescued the injured couple and took them to the hospital. The villagers told the police that there was an on-going family quarrel for the past few months. This time it turned ugly. A specific complaint has been lodged at Chanchal police station on the basis of which police have started a probe. Two accused have been at large since the incident took place. The family members of the victims are being interrogated in this regard.