Refusal of Granger Administration to accept Judiciary’s ruling

first_imgDear Editor,Peter Minshall is hailed as Trinidad &Tobago’s greatest designer, a creator of spectacle on the world stage. Very few know he was born in (then) British Guiana and spent his formative years as a Georgetown boy. I consider myself privileged to have witnessed many of his ‘mas’ bands produced for Trinidad’s carnival. Today, after listening to the decisions of Chief Justice Roxanne George, reading the statement emanating from the Ministry of the Presidency and finally seeing former Ministers Williams, Ramjattan and Bulkan on television, memories of Minshall’s presentation “Danse Macabre” came flooding back. I was transported back to Port of Spain as the images of Minshall’s dead writhed in throes and his theatre on the streets became intertwined with the members of the fallen Granger Administration, it was as if I could no longer tell one from the other.Editor, I have spent these weeks since the passage of the no-confidence motion in explanations of simple words, uncomplicated mathematics, moral and ethical principles and I have been guilty of making the various members of the Granger Administration the brunt of many a joke and/or harsh criticism. I have appeared stubborn to my friends as I have refused to entertain arguments to the contrary to education. There is not one aspect of the Chief Justice’s ruling that was unexpected or difficult to comprehend, as Justice George delivered an opus of logic and fact in clear and concise unambiguous language that brooks no confusion. To then watch men of some learning willingly sacrifice their last vestiges of credibility in an effort to keep the emperor from being revealed as naked, is no longer amusing, that these were men (the women seem to have better sense) who were entrusted to administer a country begs belief. In an earlier missive, I referred to our Attorney General as Don Quixote “seated upon Rocinante and cloaked in an armour of imbecility”, I would venture to say he has now cloned a small platoon to sit upon their asses and pontificate using analogies that vary from cricket umpiring reviews and half maths to sizes of rum bottles which somehow seems fitting but no longer laugh-out-loud funny. The refusal of the Granger Administration to accept the ruling of the Judiciary as evidenced in the statement released by MoP “until the matter is concluded at the highest court of appeal the status quo remains and the business of Government continues as usual.” Despite the pellucid ruling that “The Cabinet of the coalition Government ceased to exist immediately upon the passage of the no-confidence motion on the night of December 21, 2018, causes one to think “that there is something rotten in the state of Denmark” as the spectre of the dead dictator seems to have come walking over our walls. A Danse Macabre being played out on a national stage; one that Peter Minshall himself would find fascinating as any street performance he ever produced.Respectfully,Robin Singhlast_img read more

Venezuela’s Guaido vows to return to Caracas despite threat of prison

first_imgVenezuelan Opposition Leader Juan Guaido, visiting Brazil to drum up support for his bid to push for a change of government in his country, said on Thursday he will return to Caracas by Monday despite threats of imprisonment.Guaido said the leftist “regime” of President Nicolás Maduro was “weak, lacking support in Venezuela and international recognition”.Speaking to reporters after meeting with Brazil’s right-wing President Jair Bolsonaro, Guaido called for the enforcement of economic sanctions against the Maduro Government to continue “so that everything is not robbed in Venezuela”.Guaido, head of Venezuela’s National Assembly, last month invoked constitutional provisions to assume an interim presidency, arguing that Maduro’s re-election last year was fraudulent. He has since been recognised by most Western nations as the rightful leader of Venezuela.Venezuelan Opposition Leader Juan Guaido waves as he arrives at the European Union headquarters in Brasilia, Brazil, February 28, 2019But he faces possible arrest if he returns to Venezuela for disobeying a Supreme Court order that he should not leave the country pending an investigation.He said on Thursday that he and his family had received threats, including of prison. He did not provide further details.Following a visit this week to Colombia for the launching of a US-led plan to get humanitarian aid into Venezuela, Guaido is visiting Brazil to build diplomatic pressure against Maduro.He is set to leave today for Paraguay and said he would plan his route back into Venezuela over the weekend.“We continue to strengthen relations with countries that have recognised our efforts to restore democracy in Venezuela and hold free elections,” Guaido said in a Twitter message, after meeting in Brasilia with diplomats from about 20 European Union member states.He said there was no chance of dialogue with the Maduro Government without discussing elections as a pre-condition.Bolsonaro said in a joint statement after meeting with Guaido that the Opposition Leader was the hope for restoring a “free, democratic and prosperous Venezuela.”Brazil was one of the first to recognise Guaido, after the United States and Colombia.It is hosting one of the Venezuelan Opposition’s collection points for aid, and together with the United States has funded some 200 tonnes of food and medicine being stockpiled in the northern city of Boa Vista.Venezuela’s Opposition failed to get that aid across the border as planned last weekend after Maduro closed it, sparking protests that killed one person and injured others.Russia and China, which back Maduro, vetoed on Thursday a US-authored resolution at the United Nations Security Council calling for free and fair presidential elections and open access for the aid efforts.US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Washington was still working on plans to get the aid delivered to Venezuela, which is suffering from a deep economic crisis marked by widespread shortages of basic necessities.“We are hopeful that over the next couple of weeks, we can really begin to make a dent in that problem,” Pompeo told reporters while flying to the Philippines from Vietnam.Maduro denies his oil-rich nation has any need of aid and accuses Guaido of being a coup-mongering puppet for Washington. (Reuters)last_img read more

Grande Prairie RCMP investigate deceased female

first_imgEarly Friday afternoon, the Grande Prairie RCMP received a report of a deceased female having been found in a remote rural area northwest of the City of Grande Prairie.  Police have secured the site and are in the initial stages of an investigation into this death.  At this time the RCMP cannot indicate if this is a criminal or noncriminal event. More information will be released as it becomes available.  The RCMP do not anticipate additional information will be available until Saturday December 12.- Advertisement –last_img read more

Chager rules Mombasa, Flash firms up lead

first_img0Shares0000The “Flying Singh” who retired on the belated KMSC round in Lisa had to contend with playing second fiddle to Carl “Flash” Tundo who stretched his lead on the KNRC log to 118points.MOMBASA, Kenya, Aug 12- Baldev Chager emerged the winner on the sixth round of the Kenya National Rally Championship (KNRC) in Kilifi County ending months of a winless streak.The “Flying Singh” who retired on the belated KMSC round in Lisa had to contend with playing second fiddle to Carl “Flash” Tundo who stretched his lead on the KNRC log to 118points. Chager and his partner Ravi Soni clung to  second spot on 96. Skoda Fabia R5 speedster Onkar Rai came in second overall as Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X ace Tundo settled for third navigated by Tim Jessop.Onkar remains in a distant third on 79 points.Chager was all smiles after victory and this is what he had to say: “The course was very challenging today due to the harsh weather. I am very happy and proud of my team as well as myself.”“This is a big win for me and the team since this is the first win that I have had a win since 2016 in Kisumu. I hope to do even better at the next rally which will be in Nanyuki.”Izhar Mirza won the Johnny Hellier Memorial trophy as the best placed coast driver in fifth spot.Farhaaz continued with a good run with a 100% finish record whilst homeboy Sohanjeet Puee won division two in eighth as physically challenged driver Nikhil Sachania finished 9th on his Mombasa debut driving a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X.Asked about the MMC round Chager said: “The rally was a good challenge a nice mix of surfaces and all sorts of weather too. Job well done by MMC. Twisty stages suited the Skoda very well and we knew that from the recce it would be hard to beat in those conditions.”“Only chances were the open stages and that’s where we tried to push harder and it worked. Very good battle with my team mate Onkar. Looking forward to Nanyuki next month.”Subaru crew of Eriv Bengi and Tuta Mionki finished 4th overall, first in Group N and Division One in the tough yet very exciting MMC rally.Provisional results:Baldev Chagger/Ravi Soni-Mitsubishi Evo10 01.54.03.002.Onkar Rai/Gavin Laurence-Skoda Fabia   01.54.31.003.Carl Tundo/Tim Jessop-Mitsubishi Evo10  02.02.12.004.Eric Bengi/Tuta Mionki-Subaru Impreza N12  02.03.13.005.Izhar Mirza/Kavit Dave-Mitsubishi Evo10  02.10.03.009.Nikhil Sachania/Alfir Khan-Mitsubishi Evo10  02.34.55.00KNRC STANDINGS AFTER MMC  MOMBASA RALLY ROUND 4Carl Tundo 118Baldev Chagger 96Onkar Rai 79Manvir Baryan 57Farhaaz Khan 43Amaar Haq 21Aakif Virani 20Tejvir Rai 20Ian Duncan 180Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Jack Wilshere should drop down to England U21s, Arsenal legend tells talkSPORT

first_imgDavid Seaman says Jack Wilshere should be included in the England Under-21 squad for this summer’s European Championship.The Arsenal midfielder has been part of the senior set-up for the past five years but Seaman believes dropping down would benefit the player, who has missed a large chunk of the season through injury, as well as the Young Lions.Wilshere turned 23 in January but is still eligible for selection for the Under 21s under UEFA regulations and the former Gunners goalkeeper told talkSPORT: “I’d like to see him go [to the Czech Republic].“He has not played a lot of football this season and, if he is fit, he should go.”Seaman is of the opinion that Gareth Southgate should be able to select the best players available to him for the European Championship.Liverpool forward Raheem Sterling, Everton midfielder Ross Barkley and Manchester United full-back Luke Shaw look unlikely to feature having been moved up to the senior squad, but Seaman said: “You have got to take your best players.“You take your big guns. You play your best team possible and if that includes all the guys with the full team now, then so be it. You want to win the competition.”last_img read more