Phil HaighSaturday 17 Aug 2019 2:53 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link169Shares David Luiz explains why it’s ‘a pleasure’ to have joined Arsenal from Chelsea Advertisement Advertisement David Luiz was impressive on his Arsenal debut (Picture: Getty Images)David Luiz made his Arsenal debut in a 2-1 win over Burnley on Saturday and has described joining the club from Chelsea as ‘a pleasure’.The Brazilian was impressive at centre-back for the Gunners as they secured their second win from two games at the start of the Premier League season.The 32-year-old’s £8m move from Chelsea was something of a surprise at the end of the transfer window, but the defender is delighted to have made the switch to the Emirates and link up with Unai Emery again.The pair briefly worked together at Paris Saint-Germain and Luiz is very pleased to reform the working relationship.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENT‘I’m so happy to be here and try to do my job and also to enjoy with these quality players,’ the defender said after the win over Burnley.‘This team has a lot to do, it can improve a lot and fight for other competitions.‘We’re going to be step-by-step, working hard and it’s a pleasure to be here because everybody’s humble, everybody wants to learn, everybody wants to improve and we want to make this club shine again.‘It’s great to feel the support from everybody, I just tried to do my best. My style is to play football and also to understand the plan for the game.’More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityThe Brazil international displayed the ball-playing abilities he is known for in his first appearance in an Arsenal shirt and confirmed that Emery has instructed him to pass the ball out from defence.He said: ‘We changed a bit because the game showed us to play in a different way, but when you have confidence and you train with the team, you have to do the plan and the plan is to play from the back.‘We tried to do that and in the end I think we did it very well.’Alexandre Lacazette opened the scoring in north London, before Ashley Barnes leveled things up for Burnley before the break.Arsenal went on to dominate the second half and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang scored the winner in the 64th minute.MORE: Unai Emery explains Arsenal team selection as David Luiz and Dani Ceballos start but Mesut Ozil misses outMORE: Robin van Persie questions Unai Emery’s approach and believes Arsenal should play to their own strengths Comment
In a statement the company said: “Whilst we were disappointed and surprised by the judgment of Sir Ian Dove in dismissing our claim to the compulsory purchase order made by Haringey Council to support the stadium scheme of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, we have decided not to appeal against his decision.” It continued: “We have always been willing to negotiate with the club on a reasonable and proper basis. Our efforts towards that end have been unsuccessful so far, but we will continue to try to achieve a proper settlement by agreement if that is possible. “Our other overriding objective is also to arrange for the relocation of our family business as quickly as possible and to preserve the jobs of those we employ.” Spurs have planning permission for the new stadium and hope it will open in time for the 2018-19 season. The London Borough of Haringey made the purchase order in March 2012, which was confirmed by the Communities Secretary in July 2014 following a public inquiry. Acknowledging the company’s decision the football club first tweeted the news, later releasing a statement on their website. It read: “The club has received confirmation that Archway Steel will not be applying to the Court of Appeal for permission to appeal the High Court’s decision last month to refuse their legal challenge of the Compulsory Purchase Order. “The next step will be to vest the land in Haringey Council’s ownership and to agree the compensation amount payable to Archway. “We shall also continue to seek to reach an agreement with Archway by private treaty. We shall provide a further update as matters progress.” Archway Sheet Metal Works, in Paxton Road, behind the club’s north stand, had its legal bid against a compulsory purchase order rejected at the High Court last month. The firm has announced that it will not be appealing the decision, meaning that Spurs can proceed with their £400 million redevelopment of White Hart Lane. Press Association Tottenham are free to go ahead with proposals to build their new stadium after a family business dropped its legal challenge to the plans.
highlights Commenting on Watson’s innings, Harbhajan said, “We would have liked to finish the game in the 19th over itself, but the boys were just testing our hearts. Somehow we have the tendency to take it to the last over. As long as we’re getting the result, we’re fine. It’s nice to see Shane Watson getting those runs under his belt. He’s a serious player; last year, he won us the final single-handedly, and this innings will boost his confidence.”It will be difficult for other teams to beat Super Kings in Chennai, Harbhajan stated. “We always play well in Chennai, we know our conditions, and thanks to this beautiful crowd who come here to Chennai Super Kings. When teams come here, they have to play much better cricket than us to beat us,” Harbhajan concluded. Chennai Super Kings upstaged Sunrisers Hyderabad on Tuesday. Chennai registered their eighth win in the ongoing edition of the Indian Premier League. Shane Watson was adjudicated as the man-of-the-match. For all the Latest Sports News News, Indian Premier League News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. New Delhi : The Chennai Super Kings off-spinner, Harbhajan Singh is glad to be back in action after having been afflicted with health issues. Harbhajan picked up two wickets — dismissing David Warner and Jonny Bairstow — to aid in Chennai Super Kings’ six-wicket win over Sunrisers Hyderabad on Tuesday night.“It’s always nice to go out there in the middle, unfortunately I missed a few games due to sickness. My whole family was sick, in fact. [It’s] nice to be back, and really happy with the result as well,” Harbhajan said at the post-match presentation ceremony. Watson played a blazing knock of 96 to steer Super Kings to victory.
The announcement that a Chick-fil-A restaurant will be opening near Tuscany this summer has prompted mixed reactions from USC students.The restaurant is projected to open midsummer near the intersection of Figueroa Street and State Drive, according to a company spokesperson.“We’ve been in negotiations since summer of last year, but we were looking at property in the area long before that,” said Brenda Green, the senior public relations coordinator at Chick-fil-A. “It will definitely open in July.”Many students said they were happy to hear the popular chain would be coming to the USC area next year.“I’m excited for it to be there,” said Cat Price, a freshman majoring in political science. “All of my friends from the South always talk about Chick-fil-A, and I’ve never had it before.”Brittany La Hue, a freshman majoring in communication, said that although she likely won’t visit Chick-fil-A, she knows a number of people who will.“I probably won’t eat there often. But I know people are excited about it because it’s really good,” she said. “Before I was a vegetarian, I used to eat there all the time.”Not all students, however, are excited by the announcement and some students said there are other restaurants they would rather see in its place.“I’d like to see something that isn’t fast food,” Price said.La Hue said the lack of good Asian cuisine near campus bothers her the most.“I wish we had more options for Asian food that isn’t Panda Express,” La Hue said. “It would be nice to see a restaurant like that go into the new location.”Christian Daly, a junior majoring in English, said he might go to Chick-fil-A, but there are other restaurants he would have preferred.“I’d rather see Johnny Rockets there,” Daly said.Though many agreed Chick-fil-A will likely be popular among USC students, some said they wished the location were more convenient.“I don’t think I’ll be going there too often,” Price said. “It’s kind of out of the way.”La Hue echoed this idea.“If they had a location on campus that would be the best,” she said. “I know Figueroa is also really popular for students who have been out on The Row, but Tuscany is pretty far.”Green said Chick-fil-A does background research to ensure it doesn’t open up a store that will be a financial flop.“Whenever we build a store, we make sure that the financial model for the new location meets what we are looking for,” Green said. “So we do anticipate this being a successful store.”Students also think the restaurant will be successful.“I’ve definitely heard a lot of people talking about it, so I’m sure a good number of students will eat there,” Price said.
Similar to their first meeting this season, the No. 1 Wisconsin women’s hockey team (21-3-0, 11-3-0 WCHA) and the No. 2 Minnesota Gophers (22-3-1, 12-3-1) traded wins during their two-game series in Minneapolis. The two heavyweights remain seemingly deadlocked in both talent and execution, as neither team can manage to gain a consistent advantage over the other.Wisconsin managed to scrap its way to an opening game victory against its rival with a game-winning goal late in the second period from redshirt senior Maddie Rolfes. While this was only Rolfes’ second goal of the season, it was certainly her most valuable, as it propelled the Badgers to a decisive victory at Ridder Arena.Still, Wisconsin had to earn the win, as the Gophers rattled off 17 shots on goal following their early second-period goal from Nicole Schammel. Junior goalie Kristen Campbell came through for Wisconsin’s defense, as she managed to stop all of Minnesota’s shots following their lone goal in the opening 20 seconds of the second period.Women’s Hockey: Badgers maintain No. 1 ranking heading into final third of regular seasonThe top-ranked Wisconsin women’s hockey team (20-2-0, 10-2-0 WCHA) fell to the No. 5 ranked Ohio State Buckeyes (15-7-0, 9-5-0) Read…Saturday’s game, however, was a different story for the Badgers, who ran into an exceptional performance from Minnesota goalie Sydney Scobee. Wisconsin managed to outshoot the Gophers nearly two to one, yet netted only one goal the entire game compared to Minnesota’s three.Scobee boasted an impressive 37 saves, effectively limiting the explosive Badger offense. Other than a second-period goal from freshman Sophie Shirley, the Badgers were reined in by an impressive display of goaltending.While splitting the second edition of the Border Battle certainly wasn’t what the Badgers had hoped for, the result does not remove them from their strong position on the national stage.Men’s basketball: Happ, Wisconsin stun No. 2 Michigan in front of sold-out Kohl CenterThe University of Wisconsin men’s basketball team (12-6, 4-3 Big Ten) upset No. 2 Michigan (17-1, 6-1) 64–54 at the Read…The Badgers maintained their No. 1 national ranking, but still remain second in the WCHA standings behind Minnesota. But with more games remaining on their schedule than the Gophers, the Badgers will have ample opportunity to claim the top conference spot as long as they handle business against weaker teams that they have handily defeated this season.Moving forward, look for the Badgers to build momentum with strong performances in their upcoming series as they wrap-up their season against Minnesota State, Minnesota-Duluth and The Ohio State.
There are two Tipperary clubs hoping to make progress in the Bank of Ireland Munster Junior Cup.Division 1 leaders Clonmel are at home to Middleton while Cashel travel to face Shannon in another last 16 tie.Clanwilliam were due to play Cobh Pirates today but that match has been postponed and refixed for next Sunday.
BITKRAFT Esports Venture, the esports specific VC fund set up by Jens Hilgers last week made its first investment. The fund has chosen to invest in Tier One Entertainment, gaming and esports talent agency launched by cosplayer Alodia Gosienfiao and esports veteran Tryke Gutierrez. Credit: Tier One EntertainmentTier One Entertainment aims to develop gaming talents in Southeast Asia, with particular focus on shoutcasters, streamers and professional teams in the region. It also hopes to enable brands to work with top esports influencers thus allowing them to reach the millennial audience. The investment received will go towards equipment for production, as well as expanding the team and building a studio for talents. “We are fortunate that BITKRAFT has shown faith in the region,” commented Tier One Co-Founder, Tryke Gutierrez. “We have always believed that Southeast Asia has what it takes to take off in the international arena. With BITKRAFT on our side, the investment will fast track our plans.”Alodia Gosiengfiao added, “There are still limited opportunities in the esports and gaming world, particularly in the Philippines. With BITKRAFT’s investment, we now have the power to create real careers in the esports industry by investing in talented people and supporting their growth.”“South East Asia is the fastest growing esports market and we feel that Tryke, Alodia and their team are outstanding entrepreneurs with great passion and undisputable esports experience. We are proud to support the Tier One team,” said Jens Hilgers.The South East Asian region is home to some of the most fanatic esports followers around. Having seen the raucous reception esports players and talent receive in the likes of the Philippines, there’s definitely huge space to grow there. Tier One look well placed to help foster that growth.Esports Insider says: BITKRAFT Ventures showing they mean business with an investment already taking them into South East Asia. On paper this seems like a great fit, and we’re looking forward to seeing how the capital injection is to be used by Tier One.
Tags: SportsYouth and Sports The Akufo-Addo administration has failed to complete a single one of its commitments on sports since it came to power, according to data provided by the government itself.In total, the administration has fulfilled just one promise under the umbrella of both Youth and Sports,The only promise delivered was the one to establish a Youth Enterprise Fund to provide start-up fund under the National Entrepreneurship and Innovations Plan (NEIP) for young entrepreneurs.However, specifically in the area of sports, about 13 promises were made by the government, all of which are still being delivered, according to the government.They include the promise to enact a comprehensive Sports Bill and to develop stadia in regions without any.The current government has also failed to complete the construction of the University of Ghana Stadium which was started under John Kufuor, as it promised.The promises the government describes as pending are the pledges to Institute a buy-local policy for government agencies with regards to ICT to ensure that applications and software are procured from local ICT firms, the promise to set up a Youth Development Authority to harmonize all youth initiatives and the promise to award scholarships to promising young athletes.In its 2016 manifesto, the NPP spoke highly of these sectors saying “it is obvious that it is the youth who will drive the discovery of new technologies, innovation and growth in the future.”“The NPP’s national youth policy is designed to help shape our youth for this role through developing leadership skills, quality education, entrepreneurship, job skills, creative skills and sports. We will create an enabling environment to build the capacity of our youth to take on more active roles in our country’s future and its development.”In all, the government says it made 388 promises in its manifesto and that its most recent validation exercise showed that it had delivered or was delivering on 78% of the promises.President Nana Akufo-Addo recently assured that the government was committed to passing the Legislative Instrument (LI) on the National Youth and Sports Act.He also said the government was pursuing the enactment of the draft National Sports College Bill amidst plans to create the Sports Fund to improve sports development Source: citinewsroom.com |Ghana
Right to Dream Academy’s U-18 team has qualified for the semi finals of the ongoing Gothia Cup after thrashing Swedish Mjall by 3:0 in their quarter final clash on Thursday 18th July, 2013.Collins Tanor opened the scoring in the 29th minute before Divine Naah and Aremeyaw Muntari sealed victory for the Old Akrade team with further goals in the second half.Speedster Thomas Yeboah helped set up all three goals for his team by playing the final pass to his teammates.Divine Naah has thus confirmed his status as one of the best strikers in the tournament, scoring four goals in four matches.Ex National Under 17 team captain Thomas Agyepong and Yaw Yeboah have scored two goals each.Gareth Henderby’s team will play the winner of the IF Brommapojkarna vs. Gefle IF game on Friday for a place in the final. The Ghanaian team, who are participating in their first Gothia Cup tournament in the B17 Class category, topped Group 4 following victories over Landscrona, HJK Helsinkin and BK Hacken earlier in the competition.Reports indicate that the U-18’s have received massive support from the Ghanaian community in the Gothenborg area throughout their matches.The team have impressed spectators with their excellent ball movement and speed, coupled with their “alkaida” goal celebrations.RtD has a good reputation in Swedish football following the exploits of some of Academy’s graduates there. Striker Abdul Majeed Waris won the goal king award with Swedish top flight club BK Hacken last season.There are currently four RtD graduates playing in Sweden including David Accam of Helsinborg and the Ostersunds FK trio of Thomas Boakye, Samuel Mensah and Isaac Shaze.
*whispers* we don’t have the lead anymore. #WorldSeries pic.twitter.com/67HF9qtDVL— Yahoo Sports (@YahooSports) November 1, 2017 Verlander’s night is over6 IP, 3 Hits, 2 ER, 9 Ks https://t.co/ytXisFUfsm pic.twitter.com/taIdnnZRKI— Sports Illustrated (@SInow) November 1, 2017 Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error LEAD2-1https://t.co/5DybcaM03U pic.twitter.com/oFPgNyE1Xo— Sports Illustrated (@SInow) November 1, 2017 — FOX Sports (@FOXSports) November 1, 2017 Elevado Sacrificio SeagerAnota Utley arriba 2-1 Dodgers#SerieMundial #WorldSeries #DodgersVsAstros pic.twitter.com/66kvunM3Yo— Jorge Melo (@JORGEMELOP_) November 1, 2017 The Dodgers stole the lead in the sixth. 2-1 #WorldSeries pic.twitter.com/W1Xo2xfMEv— Sporting News (@sportingnews) November 1, 2017 For the 2nd time in the World Series, the Dodgers have somehow managed to take a lead on Justin Verlander heading into the 7th inning.— Greg Beacham (@gregbeacham) November 1, 2017 Vin approves. #WorldSeries pic.twitter.com/iMTNLNruYY— MLB GIFS (@MLBGIFs) November 1, 2017 Dodgers #PuigYourCoach pic.twitter.com/wA0elJ6jda— MLB GIFS (@MLBGIFs) November 1, 2017 There we go! #WorldSeries pic.twitter.com/rpdpdLAMx7— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) November 1, 2017 A Corey Seager sacrifice fly and the @Dodgers take the lead! #WorldSeries pic.twitter.com/FDa4ttRVzP Dodgers tie game in 6th pic.twitter.com/29ZZw9xmLw— Jonathan Khamis (@JonathanKhamis) November 1, 2017